Notice

This old forum is now only available for consultation/read. User accounts on this old website are blocked.
Please create a new account on seblod.com and use the new forum http://www.seblod.com/community/forums.
Apologies for this perturbation and thank you for your understanding!
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

No Need for Template Frameworks / Commercial Templates?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: No Need for Template Frameworks / Commercial Templates?

No Need for Template Frameworks / Commercial Templates? 2 years, 11 months ago #1

Greetings Everyone,
Like many people, I've used "template frameworks" for Joomla sites. However, over the past few months, I'm getting more comfortable creating custom layouts using positions and variations with Seblod.

I've started to essentially place all my material and layouts inside the "main" content area of my site template. I no longer seem to use all the "module positions" packed with commercial templates.

This makes me wonder: with Seblod, is it necessary to continue using template frameworks? Is it necessary to use commercial templates at all? Is it possible to just a default template (like Beez or Atomic) and structure everything in the main content area with Seblod? Is it possible to mostly do away with module positions?

Just some ideas and ways to possibly streamline the development process with Seblod.

I'd be very interested in opinions.

Thanks,
Matthew
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by MatthewSchenker.

Re: No Need for Template Frameworks / Commercial Templates? 2 years, 11 months ago #2

• unleash.it
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
I think it's really about options and comes down to personal taste and if you are using a premade template vs. your own original design. When I design a site from scratch, it usually starts as a photoshop mockup then I build the template mostly from scratch each time (I use a css reset, some starter styles, and add some php template functions).

I have used template frameworks (here I am talking about T3, etc., not seblod), but I find they add too much code bloat and I end struggling with their file system and spending a lot of time clicking things in a GUI. For me, this erases the benefits they've given. Support for mobile browsers was the main reason I was interested at first, but even that can be achieved without much trouble.

I feel the same about using any of Joomla's stock templates to base a site. Like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole for me.

On the other hand I have used commercial templates for clients that have seen one they like, or they're on a budget. I haven't tried, but I would think it would be a difficult (and probably not worth it) job to convert all the modules of an existing site to a Seblod template. Sometimes the styling of the modules would be lost (example: theming may depend on modules placed into specific areas/module groups of their framework). But using seblod for module layout is an interesting idea that would be useful on the right site (reason for me, is it opens up your layout possibilities for content). In general, I prefer assigning modules to make columns and layouts the traditional way because I think it's easier to manage.

There's my 2 cents...
The following user(s) said Thank You: MatthewSchenker

Re: No Need for Template Frameworks / Commercial Templates? 2 years, 11 months ago #3

Greetings unleash.it,
Your post got me thinking...

I always would rather start with a "blank slate" and build pages using DIVs and other elements. In other words, I don't see the value of a bunch of Joomla "module positions." Especially since I started using Seblod, I feel closer to just being able to begin with a blank page, create my layouts, then use Seblod tags. The only exception would be positions that display information that's on every page. So maybe just have a "header" and a "footer" position. The rest of the site could be handled through a single "content" position.

My background includes work in CMSs like ExpressionEngine and MODx, where "templates" are nothing more than empty HTML files that get filled dynamically from tag references. In other words, with those systems, there's no such thing as established "positions." The only weakness of this "open" system is it's a challenge when there's information like a main menu and the footer that you need on every page.

With Seblod, we have much deeper functionality than with ExpressionEngine or MODx. But I do like the idea of a template not having loads of pre-made positions.

So, what's the point of a template framework if I'm not using its built-in styling? I just keep using the because I don't know how to make my own!

Thanks,
Matthew

Re: No Need for Template Frameworks / Commercial Templates? 2 years, 2 months ago #4

Hi

We have been working with Joomla for about 4 years now and almost always created our own templates from scratch with a PSD design.

However we are wasting a very huge amount of time to make things not so profitable.

Now with the support of all browsers and mobile devices (responsive design) this become a real lack of time.

Therefore the use of a responsive template framework that could be managed by the designer (with limited CSS / HTML knowledge) would be a very big improvement.

Seblod comes with its own template framework so aren't there some commercial template makers that propose on a monthly basis a new seblod template with some GUI for the designer?

That would be perfect!

thanks

cyril
The following user(s) said Thank You: mansonul

Re: No Need for Template Frameworks / Commercial Templates? 2 years, 2 months ago #5

Greetings,
I don't know of any commercial template providers making products specifically for Seblod templates. But this makes sense. Seblod templates are more or less blank slates as far as structure goes. For me, that's one of the appeals of Seblod -- my layouts can end up the way I need them to be.*

If you use PhotoShop to mockup designs, you could just use those to generate your Seblod layouts. I do this all the time, but I use Fireworks instead of Photoshop. Create your layout, export the elements, then make the correct inclusions in your admin, site, or content view for the main content type, and then the search, list, and item views for your search types. This idea can be extended to your user pages, category layouts, and more.

Of course, this gets into the particulars of Seblod templating! I'm just giving a quick overview here.

Thanks,
Matthew

* Seblod templates are clean as far as structure goes, but there is a fair bit of DIV material that might sometimes get in the way. You might want to look into cleaner templates like SDSimpleSimon.

Re: No Need for Template Frameworks / Commercial Templates? 2 years, 1 month ago #6

What do you think of

- Zen Grid (www.joomlabamboo.com/joomla-templates/zen-grid-framework)
- Warp (www.yootheme.com/themes/warp-framework)
- yjsimplegrid (www.youjoomla.com/yjsimplegrid-introduction.html)

these template frameworks are Jquery enables, support responsive designs, have a lot of template examples and a complete back office interface.

Do you use them? What do you think of them ?

thanks

Re: No Need for Template Frameworks / Commercial Templates? 2 years, 1 month ago #7

Greetings,
For a couple of years, I used Zen Grid. It's a terrific framework. Also, you can get their "blank" template, which has all the powers of the framework but without too much clutter. However, I haven't used it for about a year now.

I also tried Warp way back when it was new. It's very attractive, but for me it had too much going on.

Never used yjsimplegrid.

Most of my recent sites are built with Blank Joomla Template (www.blankjoomlatemplate.com/).

The one I am currently most impressed by is One Web (joomlafuture.com/). I feel like this one is the best for those of us who want to start clean, which I think is especially good for Seblod.

As you can tell, my direction is to get the cleanest, most blank template possible to start my sites.

Thanks,
Matthew
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by MatthewSchenker.

Re: No Need for Template Frameworks / Commercial Templates? 2 years, 1 month ago #8

• r2d2Melv
  • ( User )
  • Expert Boarder
Hello all,

Actually the idea that is floting here is something that I think that is for the Wishlist:

A blank template where you may drag and drop the elements of your page with the information where you want it. I have seen this on some commercial programs, and even in Seblod you may move fields from right to the main construction area.

If you use same concept to make the design of your page, you could move your modules from botom to top, to left to right, etc.

So a blank template with guide lines to define the page that you may move as in Photoshop to set the place or vertical or horizontal guidelines would be a dream.

Imagine yourself pulling horizontal lines from the top, pull vertical lines from left and then set the modules at size and the position you want?

I join to the idea to ¬°free the template!

Arturo

Re: No Need for Template Frameworks / Commercial Templates? 2 years, 1 month ago #9

According to me the only things I ask for a template framework are:

- give functionnal and powerfull horizontal menus(mega menus, modules in menu...) and vertical/accordion menus
- 100% compatibility with all the browsers (ok, except IE6)
- responsive design enabled
- a user friendly backend for our designers who have only limited knowledge of CSS to create their own layout
- a complete doc
- a set of compatible modules that I can put in the templates positions
- at least one new commercial template created by the company who creates the framework

cyril
Pulsar
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds