Notice

This old forum is now only available for consultation/read. User accounts on this old website are blocked.
Please create a new account on seblod.com and use the new forum http://www.seblod.com/community/forums.
Apologies for this perturbation and thank you for your understanding!
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website?

How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website? 2 years, 10 months ago #1

• joechan
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
Hi,

How could we make a filterable favorite/ bookmark list for website build by Seblod?
I am not sure existing Joomla extensions could help.

With the bookmark, user could store a list of articles from various categories for their further studying.
Seblod is strong in searching and filtering articles, I think the bookmark could also be categorized into various lists, then filtered.

For example, an user bookmarked 10, 20, 30 articles from different lists/ categories A, B, C respectively. Those lists/ categories are not necessary the same as the categories created in Joomla; they may be the value of Seblod field, or tags created by the user.
In future, this user could read his bookmarked articles in only list A, instead of picking 10 out of 60 articles one-by-one after every loading.

Step 1: 1 searching criteria in bookmark [by category/ list].
Step 2: Allowing users to filter their articles bookmarked which stored in the same list [by fields]

We bookmarked a lot of sites in our browser, but we never remember what we bookmarked if an organized system [Folder/ Tag] was not build by ourselves.

Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MatthewSchenker

Re: How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website? 2 years, 10 months ago #2

Greetings joechan,
I agree this is a great idea! I also need this for a lot of my sites.

None of the "favorites" (bookmarks) extensions in the Joomla Extension Directory are that good. Anyway, it would be better to do this inside Seblod if possible.

It seems like it should be possible to do this with Seblod by creating a content type that saves current URL, and gives logged-in users access to a list of their favorites or bookmarks. From the list, they could link to favorite or bookmarked pages, or delete items from the list.

I've experimented with this, but I can't seem to make it work.

By the way, I started a "Wish List" discussion, which might be a good place for you to post this idea: www.seblod.com/support/forum/Fields--Plu...Field-Wish-List.html

Thanks,
Matthew

Re: How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website? 2 years, 10 months ago #3

• perrineco
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
I would be highly interested in your solution as well!
I'm just beginning to look for how to do it.

Thank you,
Perrine

Re: How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website? 2 years, 10 months ago #4

• nithinp89
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi All,

The easiest way is to create a Content type with two fields & SEBLOD Form Module to allow the users to book mark the pages.

-> Create a content type, called 'bookmarks'
-> Add a text field (user_id) and set live value as profile->id
-> Add another text box (bookmark_link) to save the current url (again use live value here)

-> In front end hide all the fields and enable submit button 'Bookmark' only.
So when user click on submit button, new entry will be added to DB

-> Listing bookmarks saved by the user is easy with SEBLOD.

Best Regards
Nithin Prathapan

5 Things to Start with SEBLOD
1. Documentation 2. Videos 3. Getting Started & FAQ 4. Tips & Tricks 5. SEBLOD Forum
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by nithinp89.

Re: How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website? 2 years, 10 months ago #5

Greetings nithinp89,
I've tried to make it work in various ways, but have not been able to figure out the snippet to save the current URL. I know how to do it with "plain" PHP, but can't get it to work in a Seblod field.

Also, in my case, I am using a custom template. Not sure what Joechan is using for templates.

The other part that Joechan mentioned is being able to filter the bookmarks. I'd also add the ability to delete bookmarks.

If you have found a way to make this work, please share the details!

Thanks,
Matthew
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by MatthewSchenker.

Re: How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website? 2 years, 10 months ago #6

• nithinp89
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Mat,

Here

url - Return live url //Eg: You want to insert the article url in contact form
Best Regards
Nithin Prathapan

1. Documentation 2. Videos 3. Getting Started & FAQ 4. Tips & Tricks 5. SEBLOD Forum

Re: How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website? 2 years, 10 months ago #7

• perrineco
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
I am trying also to follow your steps. I "created" a new table with user_id and url but I don't understand what is the bookmark submit button !
Thank you for your patience,
Perrine

Re: How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website? 2 years, 10 months ago #8

• nithinp89
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi,

A button where user can click to bookmark current page.

You can use existing seblod submit button and add text as 'Bookmark'

or you can create a custom button. (Documentaion on Adding custom submit button: www.seblod.com/support/documentation/seb...g-101-overrides.html)
Best Regards
Nithin Prathapan

Re: How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website? 2 years, 10 months ago #9

• perrineco
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
Ok, I thought it was something else!

Re: How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website? 2 years, 10 months ago #10

Greetings nithinp89,
Thanks for your help here! Your plugin looks great for many purposes.

But I'm running into the same issue I have experienced before when creating favorites.

Here's my scenario, which is probably similar to most situations for "favorites":
1. I have a content type that creates property listings. The site administrator uses this form generates listings. This works great.
2. Once property listings are created as articles, site visitors need to be able to add them to their "favorites" list.

As far as I can tell, this requires two separate content types: (1) property listings, and (2) "favorites." For favorites to record a property listing, we must put the "favorites" form within the "property listing" content view.

The only way I know of to include the site form from one content type inside the content view of another content type is to create a Joomla module for the site form for the second content type -- in this case "Favorites" -- and then call that module in the content view of the first content type.

Here's where the problem arises. The second content type will record the title/URL of its own submission, not the "current URL" of the property listing in which it was included. To make favorites work, we need a way to record the current URL.

Your plugin is heading in the right direction. Do you think there's a way to make it record the current URL of whatever page it appears on?

I hope that makes sense! If I am missing something obvious, please nithinp89 or perrineco let me know!

Thanks again,
Matthew

Re: How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website? 2 years, 10 months ago #11

• nithinp89
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Matthew,

Sorry i couldn't get all the story. Where ever the plugin uses, it will return the live url (In module or component).

But you said: "The second content type will record the title/URL of its own submission, not the "current URL" "

Isn't your article and 'module to save bookmark' on same page?

Ps: Instead of saving current url, you can save just article id which can convert into link in custom template!
Best Regards
Nithin Prathapan

Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by nithinp89.

Re: How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website? 2 years, 10 months ago #12

Greetings nithinp89,
The second content type that records the URL is saved in a module with the position "current_url" and that module is being called in my custom template using {loadposition current_url}. That's how I am getting a form within a form.

The second content type has a field called "url" that uses your live value plugin to get the url of the article. If I look in the article manager, I see that the second content type is creating new articles. The title of those articles is what's being displayed when I call the "url" field in my template.

The goal is to have it capture the title of the page on which the form appears, not it's own title.

Thanks,
Matthew

Re: How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website? 2 years, 10 months ago #13

• nithinp89
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi,

Is it the same situation shown in below image that you are talking?

www.seblod.com/media/kunena/attachments/...rl_article_title.png
Best Regards
Nithin Prathapan

Re: How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website? 2 years, 10 months ago #14

Greetings nithinp89,
I'm not sure if this is the same situation. In that screenshot, are you showing a page created with just one content type, or from two? Is the title of the article coming from the same content type that is entering the URL?

The trick here is that we have to use two separate content types. And we need the live plugin to get the title/URL of the other content type, not itself.

Thanks,
Matthew

Re: How could we make a filterable Favorite/ Bookmark list for a Seblod website? 2 years, 10 months ago #15

• nithinp89
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi,

Sorry for creating confusion. It is two content type only.

Above one is an article and below one is the comment module.
Best Regards
Nithin Prathapan

Time to create page: 0.25 seconds