I cannot correctly export or import the SEBLOD apps that I created. All of my files are writable, and I am working as the super user. I do not have any older versions of SEBLOD components. When I try to install a component on another website, it says the install package is missing. When I try to look at the content of zip files downloaded via SEBLOD, I get this message "The Compressed (zipped) folder 'D:\xxx.xxxxx.xxxxx.zip' is invalid. When I try to extract or unzip the file I get a message saying the file is empty. This is the case with every single app I tied to download from the SEBLOD component on my website. Yet, various apps are 84 kb, 115 kb, 96kb, and 69 kb in size, so obviously they are not "empty". How do I fix this?
The website is on a server with inmotionhosting, the host is localhost, and some settings such as memcache_server_host and redis_server_port say localhost, if that's what you mean. But it is on a server, not my computer. What paths do you think are set wrong? I can install all other extensions except these. When I look in easy apache4 it says that the zip extension has been installed.
These are the error messages in the php.error.log
[30-Jan-2019 17:02:26 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: processings in /home/xxx/xxx.xxxx.com/administrator/components/com_cck/models/folder.php on line 220
[30-Jan-2019 17:02:26 UTC] PHP Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/xxx/xxx.xxxx.com/administrator/components/com_cck/models/folder.php on line 220
Yes, I am on the latest SEBLOD version. I have downloads back from October 2018 that say they are invalid zips and empty when they clearly are not empty. What paths do you think are wrong? Are there other Joomla extensions that are not compatible with SEBLOD? How do I fix this?
I really need to get this issue resolved as it is just one of many things I cannot get to work in SEBLOD. I really want to use the product, but I need to get issues resolved ASAP. Any suggestions for fixing this issue? You said the server might be set up wrong, but I need to know what to look for. What is causing the PHP errors I listed above? Are they preventing me from getting SEBLOD to work properly?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the apps to download from SEBLOD? The folder permissions are not the issue as all of the folders are writable except for configuration.php. Modsecurity is not the issue as it is disabled on the domain where I am testing SEBLOD. The zip php extension is installed. I'm using php 7.2.14. Seblod is the latest version 3.17.2, and there are no older versions of core SEBLOD components. Joomla is also at the latest version, which is 3.9.2. Also, I don't now have and have never before had any problems installing any extensions. Additionally, I am the host of my websites and my clients' websites, so I have full control of the hosting environment.
However, when I attempt to download SEBLOD apps I created, it says the install file cannot be found and if I try to open the zip file it says it's empty even though they have a size of 120kb or 65kb, or etc. I'm beyond frustrated trying to get this to work and I cannot afford the time to get SEBLOD apps from dev, to test, to production by recreating every app, every form, every field, and every list and search type along with all the restrictions, permissions, etc every time I need to move them!. And don't get me started on the lack of good SEBLOD documentation. Also, it's not giving me any version on the apps even though I have that option selected. I have php warnings but according to the person running this forum the warnings don't mean anything. Something is not working properly and I need to know where to look. Anyone have any suggestions?
Update: Things are not improving. I paid for support time with Seblod and they don't know what the problem is - they say they have never seen this before. In addition to not being able to download the apps, files downloaded from SEBLOD built articles (articles which have files attached that can be downloaded) are also corrupted. SEBLOD says it's the hosting environment. I am the host of my sites and my clients' sites, so I spent 2.5 hours with the hosting company on which I have my VPS service. They say it's not the hosting environment, it's SEBLOD. So I'm stuck in the middle and after hundreds of dollars spent and weeks of my time - I'm nowhere with this issue. I'm very frustrated. I want to use SEBLOD, but I have to have the download and upload working.
Just to followup on this issue: The solution is an "alternate method" update that is coming out in SEBLOD 3.17.3. This is what I was told "The alternative method (which will be published in upcoming 3.17.3) was implemented for one of our clients to
support the download of big (500+ MB)files, and it happens to fix the download issue you have
even for small files with your current hosting setup."
Now I'm trying to figure out how to install the 3.17.3 from github as it doesn't have an install file included.